505. Statements Conducing to Public Mischief
1. Whoever makes, publishes or circulate statement, rumor or report :-
- With intent to cause, or which is likely to cause, any officer, soldier, sailor or airman Army, Navy or Air Force of India to mutiny or otherwise disregard or fail in his duty as such or
- With intent to cause, or which is likely to cause, fear or alarm to the public, or to any of the public whereby; any person may be induced to commit an offence against the State or the public tranquility or
- With intent to incite, or which is likely to incite, any class or community of persons to any offense against any other class or community, Shall be punished with imprisonment which may extend to three years or with fine or with both.
2. Statements creating or promoting enmity, hatred or ill-will between classes :- Whoever makes, publishes or circulates any statement or report containing rumour or alarming news with intent to or promote, or which is likely to create or promote, on grounds of religion, race, of residence, language, caste or community or any other ground whatsoever, feelings of enmity, hatred a will between different religious, racial, language or regional groups or castes or communities, shall be punishment with imprisonment which may extend to three years, or with fine, or with both.
3. Offence under sub-section (2) committed in place of worship, etc : – Whoever commits offence specified in sub-section (2) in any place of worship or in any assembly engaged in the perforation of religious worship or religious ceremonies, shall be punished with imprisonment which may extend to years and shall also be liable to fine.
Exception:- It does not amount to an offence, within the meaning of this section, when the making, publishing or circulating any such statement, rumour or report, has reasonable grounds for believe that such statement, rumour or report is true and makes, publishes or circulates it in good faith and without such intent as aforesaid.